CATIA - Sheet Metal Design (1) designs sheet metal parts in an intuitive and productive environment.
CATIA - Sheet Metal Design 1 (SM1) is dedicated to the design of sheet metal parts. Its feature-based approach offers a highly productive and intuitive design environment. It allows concurrent engineering between the folded or unfolded representation of the part.
CATIA - Sheet Metal Design 1 (SM1) can be cooperatively used with other current or future applications of CATIA Version 5 like part design, assembly design and drawing generation. As Sheet Metal design may start from scratch or from an existing solid, communication between suppliers and contractors is empowered.
CATIA - Sheet Metal Design 1 (SM1) offers the same ease-of-use and user interface consistency as all CATIA V5 applications to drastically reduce training cycle time and unleash designer creativity. It is available as a native Windows interface across Windows and UNIX for companies running mixed networks.
- Dedicated Sheet Metal feature-based modeling
- Allows Folding / unfolding of the Sheet Metal part
- Includes Reverse engineering from drafting
- Concurrent engineering between unfolded and folded part representations
- Access to company-defined bending tables
- Dedicated drawing extraction capability includes unfolded view and user defined extraction settings
- Compliance with industry standards such as DXF
Product Key Customer Benefits
- Feature-based Modeling: CATIA Sheet Metal Design 1 (SM1) offers users design flexibility and functionality for the creation of Sheet Metal parts and assemblies. Designs can be created from scratch or within an assembly context. Dedicated Sheet Metal features including Wall (based on a user defined plane or perpendicular to an existing wall), Bend, Relief (rectangular and round), Wall cut (round, oblong), and Thin extrude are provided.
Designs can be produced from an existing solid, using bend and wall auto-recognition and auto bend creation from a sharp edge. Dress-up features such as Pocket and Pattern are also provided.
- Folding / unfolding capabilities: Give users the ability to carry out the folding/unfolding of a Sheet Metal part
- Concurrent Engineering: Associative features can be created on both folded and unfolded representations. At any time during a design, with no prerequisite operations, any Sheet Metal feature can be specified as a folded or unfolded part representation.
- Access to Company-defined Bending Tables: The management of bend radius, allowance and sheet thickness adheres to company defined standards.
- Integrated With Other CATIA Version 5 Applications: A Sketcher is included for rapid definition and edition of Sheet Metal part profiles. The product is associative to the 3D part and assembly definitions. Sheet Metal feature recognition is based on existing solids. Wall and bend recognition can be performed on any developable solid, based on solid geometry (independent from solid design methodology). Associativity is maintained between solids and the generated Sheet Metal features. All Sheet Metal specifications can be reused by CATIA Knowledge Advisor 2 (KWA) to capture corporate knowledge and increase the quality of designs.
- Dedicated Drawing Capability: In the context of the Sheet Metal part, a drafting view of the part can be automatically generated using the CATIA Generative Drafting. CATIA Generative Drafting is automatically enhanced with some new features when used with CATIA Sheet Metal Design. The generated unfolded view for example includes the representation of bend axes,value and radius, line for upward /downward bends and stamps, and annotation in the drawing as well. The folded view can be also added in the same sheet. The generated drawings are completely associative with the original design.
- Compliance with Industry Standards: Deformation of the material during folding and unfolding process can be managed through the access to company defined bending tables that includes the definition of bend radius, allowance and sheet thickness and stamping tools tables. This allows the user to verify the design compliance with the company-defined standards and to ensure the design quality. Using the CATIA Generative Drafting product, designers can also extract documents in DXF format (the AutoCAD ASCII format) for such downstream applications as nesting and cutting.
- Compatible with CATIA Version 4 Data and Applications: V5 parts can be used by CATIA V4 for downstream applications such as analysis, digital mock-ups and assemblies. (This requires Version 4 Release 2.0 Refresh 1.) Existing CATIA V4 designs can be migrated to V5 as necessary. For example, V5 Sheet Metal feature recognition can be applied to a CATIA V4 solid design.