DesignSight Structure Plus enables up-front realistic simulation of product assemblies under structural loading conditions. DesignSight Structure Plus, a member of the DesignSight product family, extends DesignSight Structure to enable up-front, realistic simulation of the structural behaviour of product assemblies. A seamless extension of the V6 product design experience, DesignSight Structure Plus represents another important step in enabling realistic simulation to be performed by designers and design engineers in the V6 environment. It incorporates proven Abaqus Multiphysics technology with unprecedented ease of use.
- Fosters creativity through up-front simulation
- Enables occasional users of simulation to simulate their models under realistic loading conditions
- Manages simulations automatically leveraging V6 lifecycle management
- Provides high-quality results using Abaqus Multiphysics
- Enables rapid turnaround time of large models using high-performance computing resources to permit more design iterations
- Extends DesignSight Structure with assembly simulation capabilities and additional modelling tools without sacrificing ease of use: Enables simulation on assemblies of multiple parts. When working with assemblies, DesignSight makes it easy to connect parts by automatically detecting surfaces that are touching and letting the user choose whether or not to bond the surfaces at the interface.
- Stress and natural frequency simulation: In a structural simulation, as input the user defines loads and restraints at specific regions of the model, and as output DesignSight determines the model's response. Stress simulations generate valuable results output such as the deformed shape, the internal stresses, and permanent deformation of the model. These output quantities can help indicate whether or not a design will move too much or will be likely to break. Frequency simulations calculate the natural frequencies of the model and show the deformation pattern associated with each natural frequency. Natural frequency results provide additional information about where a design is stiff and where it is more flexible. For both methods the end goal is to improve design decisions through an understanding of how a design will respond under real-world conditions.
- Simulates realistic behaviour under structural loading conditions: The user is provided with several fundamental load and restraint tools with which to create realistic simulation scenarios. Available structural loads are pressure, force, and torque, which can be applied to any surfaces in the model. Additionally, forces and torques can be offset from the surface and rotated to the desired orientation. Available restraints include a clamp and a grounded ball joint; the latter enables a surface to rotate freely while preventing translations.
- Leverages proven Abaqus Multiphysics technology: Abaqus Multiphysics technology is used to provide solutions that even seasoned analysts can trust, because it is the same technology that they use. Using Abaqus Multiphysics also means that nonlinearity is handled naturally. When material properties include data defining how a material yields and hardens under large stresses, DesignSight automatically utilises this information when solving. Likewise, when a structure experiences large motions and deformations, DesignSight automatically provides an accurate solution using nonlinear solution methods.
- Automatically generates the right mesh with adaptive refinement: Underlying the simulation solution is a mesh of finite elements, and all analysts understand that the solution is only as good as the mesh. Meshing is often treated as an art form only to be handled by experienced meshing experts. DesignSight takes a different approach, utilising Abaqus technology to remove uncertainty from the end user. DesignSight gives the user a choice between a reasonable solution as quickly as possible or a highly accurate solution using multiple passes of automatic mesh refinement.
- High performance on multi-core workstations: Simulations are performed using Abaqus Multiphysics that is optimised to run in parallel on multiple cores, enabling users to take advantage of the performance of the latest workstations.
- Runs on remote HPC clusters when Abaqus tokens are available: When a higher level of performance is desired than is available on the local workstation, users can run simulations directly on remote HPC clusters. With this approach DesignSight can run very large simulations rapidly and without tying up the local workstation, which can then be used for other work while the cluster completes the solution.
- Based on V6 lifelike user experience: One of the fundamentals of DesignSight is its modern user experience, which treats the computer screen as an extension of a user's experience in real life.
- Provides guidance at all times to help the user understand what to do next: The DesignSight user interface includes the Assistant to always provide valuable information and tips related to the current context. For example, when applying loads, the Assistant explains what types of geometry can be selected, what load types are available, and how to position loads to the desired offset.
- Natural extension of the design experience: DesignSight provides a number of advanced capabilities, such as nonlinear solutions and high-performance computing. But perhaps its most valuable attribute is that it is a natural extension of the product designers' existing experience using V6. In the course of creating a new design and making design modifications and enhancements, it is natural for the product designer to wish to evaluate how the design will perform in a real environment. When working with models in V6, DesignSight is always close by, making it very easy for a designer to take advantage of the insights that DesignSight can provide to improve the design.
- Advanced simulation technology with an easy-to-use interface: We recognise that product designers and design engineers are unlikely to work with DesignSight every day or even every week; consequently we engineered a user interface that is very easy to use.
Back to SIMULIA V6R2013x