Provide designers with easy-to-use sculpting tools, allowing them to model shapes from digitised skins or physical models.
CATIA Shape Sculptor 2 (DSS) provides modeling tools to quickly create, edit, or enhance a shape from a concept or an existing physical model. This new approach of creating aesthetic and conceptual forms allows non-CAD specialists to manipulate and test 3D virtual models. The objective is to enhance the collaboration between design and engineering offices through a fun and easy to use sculpting tool. In this way, CATIA Shape Sculptor 2 (DSS) complements and reinforces the existing CATIA surfacing tools, such as CATIA Freestyle Shaper 2 (FSS) and CATIA Freestyle Sketch Tracer 2 (FSK) particularly in situations where surfacing becomes very complex. It can be used to generate a shape from curves and surfaces, to add details on a model, to sculpt and then copy and paste features from an existing model to another, or to simply work on a polygonal model as obtained from CATIA - Digitized Shape Editor 2 (DSE).
- Uniquely supply a fully integrated polygonal modeler in a PLM system.
- Allow to rapidly design new products from a concept
- Enable quick and precise shape creation through polygonal, curve and surface modeling
- Complement mechanical design and surfacing tools for advanced surfacing processes
- Features intuitive and easy to use system that helps free the designer's imagination
Product Key Customer Benefits
- Intuitive polygonal modeling and sculpting tools ... CATIA Shape Sculptor 2 (DSS) complements shape and design surfacing tools, such as CATIA Freestyle Shaper 2 (FSS) and CATIA Freestyle Sketcher 2 (FSK), by providing a set of intuitive polygonal modeling and sculpting tools that work like clay modeling. It is particularly well suited to shape designs when surfacing becomes complex.
- Quick and precise shape creation ...When used in conjunction with curve and surface modeling, the polygonal modeler empowers designers to create models quickly and accurately.
- Simplicity and ease of use ... All commands and tools for CATIA Shape Sculptor 2 (DSS) are simple to use and can be self-taught, enabling users to focus on the modeling task instead of the mechanics of using the application. Novice users become power users in a very short time.
- Associative modeling ... This powerful paradigm enables users to modify the polymesh while editing curves and surfaces.
- Import polymesh data ... The user can import polygonal data, such as those measured natively by 3D scanners or reconstructed by CATIA Digitized Shape Editor 2 (DSE). The user can preview, scale, trim, or change the measuring units of the imported data. Afterwards, and in order to obtain a Surface Model, the user creates the CAD model with CATIA - Quick Surface Reconstruction 2 (QSR).
- Export polymesh data ...Users can export polygonal data in STL files or other standard file formats for rapid prototyping or other applications.
- Component selection ... Custom selection commands for selecting areas of polygonal models intuitively and accurately using a variety of tools (brush, rectangular and polygonal trap, flood fill, and inverted selection.) enable the user to work efficiently on part of the model.
- Polygonal shape creation ... Designers can quickly create polygonal shapes from curves and surfaces. Points, distance, and continuity constraints provide a high degree of control to generate accurate polygonal models.
- Polymesh editing ... Polymesh editing tools (decimation, refinement, smoothing) enable the user to simplify the model or instead increase the resolution in areas where details will be added, or to simply smooth the surface. All editing commands operate either locally in a selected area or globally on the whole polymesh. Designers can trim and slice their polygonal model with curves and even with an intersecting surface or polymesh. With the product's stitching technology, features from existing models can be reused and pasted into a new model.
- Interactive polymesh sculpting ... Working interactively with such 3D tools as brush, box, and lattice modeling or with curves and surfaces, the designer can modify the polygonal mesh and create new features quickly.
- Curve painting ... Users can paint a curve directly and with a high-degree of control on the polygonal surface more simply than with NURBS (non-uniform rational B-splines) or Bzier curve creation.