Ensure design compliance with established standards by capturing, building up, managing and sharing corporate knowledge in rule bases, and leveraging it across the enterprise, through CATIA ? Knowledge Expert 1 (KE1).
CATIA - Knowledge Expert 2 (KWE), allows an expert designer to build-up and share corporate knowledge in rule bases, and leverage that knowledge across the enterprise to ensure design compliance with established standards. These rule bases capture and automate knowledge processes such as:
- Best practices
- Application processes
- Design validation and corrections
As part of the native capacity of the Version 5 products and architecture to dynamically capture design specifications, CATIA - Knowledge Expert 2 (KWE) delivers a unique way to specify corporate rules and checks which must be employed throughout the corporation to ensure compliance with best practices. Generated reports allow end-users to better identify violations of standards and implement necessary corrections.
As an integrated product, CATIA - Knowledge Expert 2 (KWE) can be used in conjunction with all other Version 5 products to build process applications and share them throughout the enterprise.
The Knowledge Expert solution consists of a buidtime product, CATIA - Knowledge Expert 2 (KWE), and a runtime solution, CATIA - Knowledge Expert 1 (KE1).
- Captures and standardizes your corporate engineering knowledge.
- Capitalizes and organizes your corporate knowledge.
- Shares your corporate standards throughout the enterprise.
- Allows easy management and maintenance of corporate knowledge.
- Benefits from the full integration with other CATIA V5 applications.
Product Key Customer Benefits
- Captures and standardizes your corporate engineering knowledge: CATIA Knowledge Expert 2 (KWE) lets users define as many generic rules and checks specifications as needed for all and between all classes of CATIA V5 objects: from mechanical features such as holes and fillets, to topology objects such as faces and edges plus manufacturing objects, including drillings and many others.
These expert rules and checks are not embedded in a unique design, and can then be used to automatically monitor the actions of any designer throughout the company. As geometry is created or changed, the system uses the expert rules and checks to ensure compliance to corporate standards while assisting the designer.
For example, the designer can manage the thickness of a part considering the material used to ensure there is sufficient thickness to manufacture a hole. Users also can choose the hole radius in accordance with corporate standards (tied back, in turn, to the known limitations of the company's manufacturing capabilities).
When a rule or check is violated, corrective actions can be recommended or automated using VBscript macros, texts or links to URL files. The status of checks is indicated dynamically with a green (valid) or red (invalid) icon directly in the workbench toolbar. Corrections are facilitated through contextual menus and highlighting of object(s) to be corrected.
For example, a designer adds a hole to a part, and the knowledge expert rules identify that, according to engineering skill, the hole is too close to the edge. A pop-up menu can suggest either that the hole be moved or that reinforcing material be added. By simply selecting the desired solution the designer can allow the system to instantly solve the problem.
- Capitalizes and organizes corporate knowledge for wide deployment: Expert rules and checks are stored in CATIA documents. Users can define and manage rule sets to structure the corporate knowledge base logically. Rules are then classified in rule sets that are part of a rule base. This structure allows different sets of rules and checks to be set up for different design or manufacturing processes, according to the user's needs.
Thanks to CATIA Knowledge Expert 2 (KWE), corporate knowledge can be shared, throughout the company, in rule bases that can apply to different models. These rule bases are stored in documents and can be linked to by different users for their models through CATIA Knowledge Expert 1 (KE1).
CATIA Knowledge Expert 2 documents can also be stored in catalogs and applied in batch mode on different models.
- Shares corporate standards throughout the enterprise for better quality: Once know-how is captured and stored, CATIA - Knowledge Expert 2 (KWE) allows the standard to be spread across the enterprise. Designers have simple access to this high level data through KE1. Thus, they are assured, in a permanent way, of the consistency of their design with corporate standards and best practices. Therefore, the risk of errors is reduced, improving productivity as the user converges toward an optimized design while focusing on the best approach for the company as they work.
- Benefits from the full integration with other CATIA V5 applications: Full integration with CATIA enables user to work with any V5 specification. As an integrated product, CATIA Knowledge Expert 2 can be used in conjunction with all other CATIA Version 5 products to build applications and share them throughout the enterprise.