Although it may not be obvious, there can often be a reason for overriding the default mass of a part in CATIA V5. For example a supplier of a part can only supply you with the mass and no material properties. In order to estimate your BOM mass correctly, the correct mass of a part will be required. Although it is not obvious, the mass of a part in CATIA V5 can actually be “faked”, “overridden” or made “Equivalent”.
CATIA does this by tricking the part into believing that it is only 1m³ in volume and then applies a density, thus tricking the mass into thinking it is the same as the density. The steps are easy:
- Show Parameters from Tools > Options > Infrastructure > Part Infrastructure > Display
- Show Values from Tools > Options > Parameters/Measures
- Import this text file as new parameters
- Set the Inertia measure to display “Equivalent”
- Measure the PART NODE only to view the Equivalent Mass.
The video below shows the process in full.
For further information or if you have any questions, please leave a comment below or contact our helpdesk.
One of the biggest challenges many of our customers discuss with us is how to deal with growing complexity and the impact it has on user productivity...